Welcome to the research guide for physics and astronomy at Caltech. Please use the above tabs to find what you're looking for. If you have questions or suggestions you're welcome to contact me by e-mail.
Astronomy collections are in the Cahill Library and Millikan basement. Titles with locations in the annex can be paged.
Physics titles are held in the Sherman Fairchild Library basement. They are in compact shelving on the south wall.
CLAS - Catalog for Caltech Libraries. It includes print and electronic holdings
Worldcat - The world's largest library catalog
If the Caltech Library collection does not have a book or subscribe to an article that you'd like, you can request it through Docuserve (Interlibrary Loan). In February 2015 the Docuserve fee was waived so it is now free. You can email me directly if you'd like a book to be purchased for our collections or use this form.
- The Library subscribes to select IOP titles
- The Library does have access to pre-1996 Science through JSTOR
- The Library does subscribe to Publications of the Astronomical Society of the Pacific (PASP) through JSTOR 110:743(1998)+
- The Library does subscribe to Proceedings of the International Astronomical Union (IAU) through Cambridge Journals Online. These titles include: IAU Symposium 222(2004)+ , IAU Colloquium 195(2004)-199(2005), IAU Transactions 26(2005)+, and Highlights of Astronomy 14(2006)+
- The Library does not subscribe to the SPIE Digital Library but you can request articles from it through Docuserve, the library's inter-library loan service. This is free.
Off-campus access to Library resources
Only current Caltech students, faculty, and staff have remote-access privileges to Caltech-licensed library resources.
You are a remote user if your IP address fall outside the range 131.215.*.*. This includes people at CSO, IPAC, LIGO, OVRO and Palomar. Using the Library's proxy server, running VPN, or installing a LibX plug-in are all options to help you access library material from off-campus.
In order to access library subscriptions through ADS, you must adjust your Library Links Settings on this page. Select 'California Institute of Technology' from the drop-down menu and save your settings. Once this is complete, you'll see the button display in your search results.
Please see the general information on this page if you're trying to access library resources from off-site.