Last Updated: May 18, 2013
Caltech's Institutional Repositories for faculty approved research results and other content supporting the mission of the Institute
Research publications by Caltech authors. Mainly articles, but also books, book chapters, conference papers and more. The repository is updated continuously as departments and library staff add available and recently published documents.
New books can be found here!
- Proteins in Solution and at Interfaces: Methods and Applications in Biotechnology and Materials Science
- Archaea: evolution, physiology, and molecular biology (E-Book, 2013/04/11)
- Advanced Methods and Tools for ECG Data Analysis (E-Book, 2013/04/10)
- Antifungal Azoles: A Comprehensive Survey of their Structures and Properties (E-book, 2013/03/27)
- Cholesterol Regulation of Ion Channels and Receptors (Print, 2013/03/18)
- Transport phenomena in biomedical engineering : principles and practices (Print, 2013/03/13)
- How to Create a Mind (Print, 2013/03/11)
- Neural control engineering (Print, 2013/03/11)
- How The Brain Got Language (E-Book, 2013/03/06)
- Chemical Biology: Approaches to Drug Discovery and Development to Targeting Disease (E-book, 2013/02/26)
- Biosimulation: Simulation of Living Systems (E-Book, 2013/02/25)
- Imaging Brain Function with EEG (E-book, 2013/02/12)
- AIDS Clinical Trials Information Service
- Animal Welfare Information Center (USDA/NAL)
- Bioethics Resources on the Web (NIH)
Information on "human subjects and animal research, institutional review boards (IRBs .. aka: research ethics committees), clinical ethics, international research ethics issues, genetics, and neuroethics."
- Bioline International
Provides open access to research articles published in developing countries.
- BioMed Central
A database containing NIH/PubMed documents, plus a large collection of theses, dissertations, and other publications.
"...a dynamic international photo competition that honors the world's most extraordinary microscope images of life science subjects."
- Complex Carbohydrate Research Center MS/NMR Databases
- Dissertation Abstracts
- Entrez; the life sciences search engine
- Global Invasive Species Database
"Invasive alien species that threaten native biodiversity ... from micro-organisms to animals and plants ... 800 species in over 250 countries. Search by species name, country or location.
iBioSeminars is a freely available library of video seminars from outstanding scientists, including many HHMI investigators. These lectures, which describe on-going research in leading laboratories, feature an extensive introduction to the subject matter, making them accessible to advanced undergraduates or beginning graduate students and researchers outside of the specific field. Our goal is to add 15-20 outstanding lectures per year. Access, through web streaming or download, is completely free-of-charge."
Digitized version of the Index-Catalogue of the Library of the Surgeon General's Office, U.S. Army ... covering the literature thru 1950.
- Merck Manual of Diagnosis and Therapy
An ASM collection of Videos (49), Images (447), Animations (127), and Protocols (41) ... supplemented by a Critical Thinking Question Bank.
"MicrobeWorld is an interactive multimedia educational outreach initiative from the American Society for Microbiology that promotes awareness and understanding of key microbiological issues to adult and youth audiences, and showcases the significance of microbes in our lives."
- NLM Databases: US National Library of Medicine's databases and electronic resources
- Nutrition Science Initiative
An attempt to research the "public health problems presented by obesity and diabetes."
- Proteome - BioBase Knowledge Library
"An ontology search query system, with specialized tools for gene set analysis and pathway visualization ... for mammalian, yeast, worm and plant species. Includes a specialized custom sequence annotation tool ... to extend predictive functions to newly sequenced or otherwise uncharacterized genomes."
Key Features at: http://www.biobase-international.com/product/proteome
- PubMed (Medline)
- PubMed Central
A semantic search engine which simultaneously searches keywords in over 35,000,000 articles and conference abstracts from: Pubmed, Arxiv, Pubmed Central, IEEE, RePEc, Citeseer, NASA Library & Directory of Open Access Journals. Also includes: Similar Abstract Search Engine and Journal Finder.
Peer-reviewed encyclopedia articles ... Computational Neuroscience
- Textpresso: An information retrieval and extraction system for C. elegans literature
- Tox Town: interactive guide to commonly encountered toxic substances
- Toxicology & Environmental Health Information
Publicly available data on hazaard, exposure, and risk assessment ... and unpublished studies linking chemicals to cancer or reproductive or developmental problems. C&EN May 10, 2010 p.30
"AdverseEvents provides critical drug safety and outcome information on all FDA approved medications.
- AIBS Member Biology Societies
- American Society for Cell Biology image and video library
- American Society for Cell Biology microscopy library
- Andre Brown's Biocurious Biophysics Blog
- ARKive -Images of Life on Earth
ARKive is gathering films and photographs of the world's species into one centralized digital library, to create a unique audio-visual record of life on Earth, prioritizing those species at most risk of extinction.
- Atlas of the Body (Anatomy & Medical Illustrations, from the Amer. Med. Assoc)
- Biodiversity Hotspots
- BioEd Online: Classroom Lessons
"BioEd Online Classroom Lessons are inquiry-based, field-tested, standards-aligned activities and supplemental materials that can be downloaded as PDF documents for use in your classroom."
- Biological Warfare Site
- Catalogue of Life
An effort to catalog global taxonomic data from 115 worldwide sources, and become the Global Species Database. Includes information about animals, plants, fungi and micro-organisms.
- Charles Darwin Correspondence Project
- Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory
- Dolan DNA Learning Center
An up-to-date CSHL resource ... about DNA and genetics.
- Emerging Infectious Diseases (CDC)
- FASEB Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology
GeneEd is a useful resource for grades 9 - 12, for Cell Biology, DNA, Genes, Chromosomes, Heredity, Inheritance Patterns, Epigenetics/Inheritance and the Environment, Genetic Conditions, Evolution, Biostatistics, Biotechnology, DNA Forensics, and Top Issues in Genetics. The site links to categories such as research articles, animation, games, videos, interactive tutorials, and labs and experiments. 3D images, illustrations and text from the NHRGI, with text varying from easy-to-read to advanced reading levels.
- HHMI's BioInteractive
Up-to-Date information and Articles about Hormones
- IACUC (Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee)
Provides educational materials for 15 topic areas ranging from DNA to epigenetics.
- Linus Pauling Institute for Micronutrient Research
- Master's in Library Science Degrees
"Library Science works intricately with education and information technology with the goal of gathering, classifying, organizing, and providing access to resources and information. Masters degrees can open more opportunities and many of the programs listed below often take only two years to complete."
- Molecular Biology Sites
- Molecular Information Agent
- Moselio Schaechter’s Microbe Blog
- National Human Genome Research Institute
- Neuroscience Information Framework
- NIH’s web on history of discoveries
A search portal to find the most relevant genomics resource linked to free and subscription tutorials.
Descriptions of research projects, with the opportunity to donate funding.
- Public Library of Science (PLOS)
An academic network for researchers and scientists.
- Researching Medical Literature on the Internet
Find current information about professional conferences, calls for papers for publications and for papers for presentations at professional meetings, and other research-related materials in the health sciences.
Lists funding opportunities in the health sciences; as well as scholarships for patients to attend gatherings of disease advocacy organizations; scholarships for those with certain disabilities or conditions; prizes for achievement in science
and medicine and so on.
"SciFlies is a new system for funding science through a micro donation model."
- The Reptile Database
Currently listing ~9.5K species and ~3K subspecies, with ~29K literature references.
- Yahoo's Biology Index
- Comparison Chart - Citation Managers
Features comparison of: RefWorks, EndNote, CiteULike, Sente and Zotero.
- Comparison Chart - Document Managers
Features comparison of: Papers, Sente, Mendeley and Labmeeting.
Windows, MAC, and Linux versions. Syncs with Zotero and "auto watches" specific folders so when a PDF is saved, it is automatically imported into my library (with metadata).
- Papers · your personal library of research
Search repositories and download articles without leaving Papers. View, browse and search your library. Drag and drop PDFs, or import from Endnote/BibTeX. For Configuration details see: http://library.wisc.edu/citation-managers/papers-mac.html