Do NOT create a new record when resubmitting your thesis. Simply make the required changes on the original record and resubmit that one. If you need help, call x6065.
We will return the submitted thesis to you for corrections if the following common mistakes have been made:
- DATES ON THESIS
- The Degree Date in the Thesis Details section of the Description tab should also be your graduation year. This could be a different calendar year from the current one, depending on when your thesis defense submission dates occur in relation to upcoming commencement ceremonies.
- Your defense date needs to be on your title page, under your graduation year.
- EMAIL ADDRESSES
- You did not add a non-Caltech email address in the Author's field in the Description tab.
- Advisor and committee member addresses are missing.
- INCOMPLETE SECTIONS
- If the advisor is also on the committee, his/her name must appear appear in both areas.
- Individuals' roles for advisor/committee section must be designated. Use the pull-down menu options.
- Email addresses must be included.
- THESIS AVAILABILITY AND ACCESSIBILITY DATES
- The thesis availability in the Description tab and the file access statuses under "Upload Open" or "Upload Withheld" Files don't coordinate. This can be confusing. Please read the instructions carefully, or call us directly for further clarification.
- You did not add a restriction end date for the restructed or embargoed file(s). Open "Options" for each file and add a specific date in the "Access-Visible" field.
- MISSING COMPLETE THESIS
- You did not upload a file including the complete thesis, although all the chapters have been uploaded as separate files.We need a single file with the complete thesis.
- If you are withholding specific chapters for patenting or publication reasons, you may also withhold the full thesis file for the same length of time.
Other types of mistakes that could affect completion and/or graduation:
- NOT RESUBMITTING AFTER CORRECTIONS
- If you don't resubmit it, the thesis will sit in your buffer, where our reviewers can't see it. We will not be able to review it and send it on to Grad Office for final approval.
- MISSING PAPERWORK IN THE GRAD OFFICE
- Even if your thesis has been satisfactorily submitted and we have forwarded it to the Grad office for final approval, they will most likely withhold approval if all your forms have not been handed in to them.
- Check the list carefully, and have someone in the Grad Office double-check the paperwork you hand in to make sure nothing is missing.
- The Survey of Earned Doctorates is the form missed most often. You can fill it out electronically, and email a copy of the certificate of completion directly to the Grad Office