Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Using CaltechDATA as a Repository for Supplemental Material
Caltech Library encourages you to share data files, software, and other supplemental material, along with the text of your thesis. CaltechDATA is a resource you can use to preserve any type of file as you write your thesis.
Important Considerations for Using CaltechDATA:
- You will need to provide basic information about the files, such as the authors and how another researcher could use them.
- Items in CaltechDATA are organized into records, which can contain multiple files.
- You could have one record per chapter, one record for raw and one for processed data, or many different records.
- Each record is assigned a Digital Object Identifier (DOI) which will always link to the files.
- You can submit files to CaltechDATA before your thesis is completed and embargo the files until your thesis is released.
- You can adjust the embargo date (as well as other metadata) at any time until the files are made public.
- Although you cannot change files once they have been uploaded to CaltechDATA, you may want to replace embargoed files with a new version. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
GitHub and CaltechDATA
If you use GitHub to manage software, CaltechDATA has an integration to automatically preserve your software.
- After logging into CaltechDATA, go to your profile and select GitHub.
- Follow the instructions to link your GitHub account, and you'll get a list of your public GitHub repositories.
- Check the repositories you are interested in preserving, and when you do a software release in GitHub a copy of the software will be saved in CaltechDATA.
- You'll also get a DOI that you can use to refer to the specific software version.
Linking your CaltechDATA record(s) to your CaltechTHESIS record
To link your CaltechDATA records to your thesis, include the CaltechDATA DOIs in the Related URL section of CaltechTHESIS with type DOI. When your thesis is approved, we will automatically add your thesis DOI to all records in CaltechDATA. Email email@example.com for assistance.
For More Information
Visit the Library's CaltechDATA information website to find out more, including the frequently asked questions. Please feel free to send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.