Log in and use the regular deposit long-form if you want to create records with complex bibliographic information or if you want to import bibliographic data from another source. Any items with non-PDF files must be added using this method.
A. Log in to CaltechAUTHORS:
- If necessary, create an account in CaltechAUTHORS
- The library may need to enhance your account’s privileges to allow you to deposit. Let us know if you do not see a Manage Deposits tab after you log in the first time
- Log in and go to Manage Deposits
B. Create the metadata record:
- Click on "New Item"
- Click through each screen and fill in the data fields. The red-starred fields are required
- Item Type: Choose which kind of item you will be adding to the CaltechAUTHORS. This is descriptive of the item as a whole, not the individual pieces
- Description: Fill in at least the required fields
- To open up a field, click on the "plus" button
- Collection, Record Number and Persistent URL fields are auto-generated. Do not modify these
- Related URLs can include links to online sources of any kind that are related to the item you are adding
- Funders is an important field to add if you have the information. It will give you a way to track the publications related to given grants, etc.
- Upload Files: Attach the content file(s) and modify the form fields
- The Browse button allows you to retrieve files stored on your computer.
- The Zip File and .tar .gz tabs arte ussed if you are uploading those kinds of files
- The From URL tab is used if you want to import something from the web
- Once a file is uploaded, update the generated form:
- Content or Version: choose an appropriate entry from the pull-down menu
- Description: can be used to describe the content of the uploaded file
- Visible To: sets availability of the content file
- Embargo Expiry Date: useful if you want to restrict access to a content file for a defined period of time
- Withheld Files: Content files included in this area are stored in a dark archive. They are invisible to all except repository administrators. You may skip this tab if you have nothing to upload into a dark archive
- If you wish to add something to this section, follow the steps in Upload Files
- You can also move files between here and Upload Files by changing the Visible To field in the form
- Click "Save for Later"
C. Deposit record to library for final review and release:
You have several options:
- If the record is open, click the Deposit tab and follow the screen instructions
- OR From the Saved Record screen, cllick the blue "Move to Review" button
- OR From the Manage Deposits screen, click the green checkmark icon to the right of the entry in your list, then click "Deposit Item Now" on the next screen
- If necessary, the library staff will contact you about your submission. If not, you're done. Congratulations and thank you!