Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Overdrive ebook support
Learn how to access ebooks provided by OverDrive:
Access an OverDrive ebook
- Browse our list of OverDrive ebooks.
- Select Borrow and sign in with your Caltech credentials.
- Choose loan length (7, 14, or 21 days) and select Borrow.
- Select one of the following options to access the ebook:
- Read now with Kindle: Check out the ebook for a number of days. This option requires a Kindle or Kindle app.
- Read now in browser: Read in browser. This option will open the ebook in a new tab or window.
- Download EPUB ebook: Check out the ebook for a number of days. This option requires Adobe Digital Editions (further instructions below).
- Select My account from the top right of the window to view your Loans, Holds, etc.
- Select Loans and then Return to return your book after reading it.
Read now in browser (from step 4 above)
- Select Read now in browser and the ebook will open in a new tab or window in flip format. Click on the right or left side of the window to flip the book forward or backward.
Download EPUB ebook (from step 4 above)
- Select Download EPUB ebook and you will be prompted to confirm device compatibility. Select Adobe Digital Editions, which will open a new tab or window, and then Download.
- Select the edition appropriate for your operation system (Mac or Windows) to begin downloading.
- Once you have downloaded and installed Adobe Digital Editions, return to the OverDrive device compatibility notice and select Confirm.
- You will be prompted to save an .ascm file to your computer.
- Open the downloaded ebook from your file system or desktop.
- Complete authorization (if you haven't before): Check "I want to authorize my computer without an ID," then select Next, then Authorize, then OK.
- Success! You should now be able to read the ebook in Adobe Digital Editions. Need help? Contact the library.
NOTE: To view the due date or return the ebook, select Library in the upper left-hand corner, right-click the ebook, then select Return borrowed item.